War Stories

I joined the Marine Corps in 1966 and served on active duty honorably until 1970. I served in Vietnam from early 1968 to early 1969.  I had many experiences during those years. From time to time I will relate a story or two on my blog, most of them are amusing.  Here is one such experience. I hope that you enjoy it.

Raisin Wine
The Raisin wine story. We usually had a Marine or three on mess duty at any given time, so we were able to get the needed supplies from the mess hall. First, we needed to get something to put the wine in. We had these big, five gallon boxes that held a plastic bladder inside, filled with milk. We got a few of the empties and cleaned them out really well. Then, we procured several very large boxes of raisins from the mess hall, along with packages of yeast. We put the raisins in the bladder and filled it with water. We let the yeast 'cure' in some warm sugar water, and added it to the mixture, along with a pound or two of sugar. I can't remember the exact measurements. I'm sure that we just kind of tossed it together. The last 45 years have made it a bit hazy. Then, we put it in a dark place for a couple of weeks and , voila!, we had our wine. It was not bad, considering there was one ingredient, the name of which escapes me, that we did not have. It worked... that was the key. Gave us one hell of a hangover, too.  We drank it for several weeks without incident, but scuttlebutt has a way of making it to the ears of those in Officer Country. Captain MacCurry, our CO got wind of our illicit hootch and sent that big slug of a Sargent Major snooping around. That stinking Sgt. Major found our stills and confiscated them. He put us on report, and we got a few punishment details. That isn't what pissed us off. What pissed us off was that that fat slug lifer DRANK our wine, and didn't buy another drink in the enlisted club the whole time he was there.  
 I used to love the Movie "M*A*S*H" and later the TV show, because it reminded me of the antics of the H&MS 11 BOMB DUMP where I served. We were like Mash, except that we were all just enlisted Marines, no officers involved. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging.... Gracefully?

Summer

Thoughts On Thanksgiving- Part I