Political Views and Perspective

Politics always brings out differences of opinions between friends and acquaintances. Discussions can become heated, and friendships torn apart; all over what are differences of opinion. It's silly to let these differences destroy friendships which sometimes span decades. They have caused rifts in families, sometimes irreparable. When we get into these discussions, we should all take a step back and think if this is really what we want to do. I, for one, do not want differences of opinion, especially political differences to cause resentment and anger. 
  Folks, it's just not worth it. There are circumstances in our lives that lead to differences of opinions. Perspective, and events in ones life form our opinions and our views. I watched my father struggle his whole life to make ends meet, while his bosses made great amounts of money from his labors. I've seen businesses who were making huge profits, make decisions that were harmful to their workers. I've seen the right do things that I, as a loyal American and Union Steward, see as detrimental to workers. I will always side with any politician that helps American workers. I will always be against any person, any party, that I feel is against the interests of the workers in this country. I believe that trickle down is a fantasy, as George H. W. Bush said 'Voodoo Economics". It didn't work then, it won't work now. Now.. this is my opinion. I am a retired Chief Steward for the CWA. I am someone who believes that the worker, not the multinational corporations who ship jobs to third world countries, are the backbone of this country. I believe in the American dream, and I believe that those, like the Koch brothers, have an agenda to destroy everything that we fought so hard to achieve.
 I am against any person, or party, that treats certain segments of our society as second class citizens. I believe that everyone who is doing the same job is entitled to make the same wage. I believe that everyone is entitled to healthcare... it should not be those who are rich enough to afford it. I believe that we should repair our infrastructure, the roadways and bridges, and railways... all that made us such a great nation, instead of building a wall along the rio grande. I believe in a woman's right to chose. I believe that a society that oppresses their working class is no better than any totalitarian society that ever existed.
  I believe that those who wish to be the Commander in Chief of this great nation, should be dignified and show the gravitas that is required for that lofty position. I believe that these candidates should show respect for each other and address the issues with their informed solutions, instead of resorting to schoolyard taunts. I believe that our politicians should try to work together, not be so partisan that they are not willing to compromise.
  All this being said, I will not get into a contentious argument with my friends or loved ones. It's just not worth it because, as we all know, the political winds are constantly shifting, and if you just wait... things will change again.
  I hope that all we be resolved for the betterment of this country. I hope that, one day, another great statesman will come  along and rise up, as Lincoln did. In the meantime, I ask you all to be civil to each other. If you have a strong opinion, by all means, post it, but don't be hateful Respect each other, show tolerance for the viewpoint of others, and keep it civil. None of us have the complete answer. We all see things from different perspectives, and from different life experiences. In the end, we are all part of this great country.
  I wish you all, Peace, Love, and Tranquility.
 March 4, 2016
 John Zaffino
 Kent Lakes, New York

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging.... Gracefully?

Summer

Thoughts On Thanksgiving- Part I