Father's Day, 2013

Father's day... another year gone by. When I was in my thirties and forties, I could expect to be treated to the affections of my children and step-children. They would always honor me with a card or a gift, telling me what  a great father I was. I tried. I, like most fathers of my generation, and generations past, did the best that I could. hoping that the choices that I made were the right ones. I, to this day, still do not know how well that I did. 
  I had five children to raise; three of my own, and two step-daughters that I did my best to raise as my own, even though they had a biological father. I went to every school function, every concert, everything that they were involved in. In fact, the only thing that I ever missed was a concert of my daughter, Danielle's. Even then, they had to make me stay home. I had had the flu, and was fighting  temperature of 104. Other than that, I attended every one of their concerts and school functions. It never seems enough, to me. I wanted to do more. I worked every minute of overtime that I could to give them all a better life, when, looking back on it, it would have been better if I had not worked so much, and spent more time with them. 
  There is nothing I can do about it now. There are no 'Do overs' in fatherhood.. especially in step-fatherhood, because you are always being judged, and you never really measure up. 
 To my children and step children: I'm sorry. I should have done better than I did. I just did not know any better. If I could go back and change things, I most definitely would, but that is just not possible. All I can do is just give you a bit of advise, from a tired and sad old man: Do better by your children than I did by you. I am proud of you all. You have come a long way in life. Continue to be the best parents that you can be. If I failed you, I am sorry. I am not asking your forgiveness, just your understanding.
  To all of my friends who are fathers: Happy Father's Day. I hope that the day is wonderful for you and your family. Enjoy; you deserve it after all the hard work that you have done.
 Finally, to my father: Dad, I miss you. It has been 32 years since you left us so abruptly. You never got a chance to enjoy your life, or your grandchildren. I still grieve for you to this day. I wish that we had a better understanding of each other, but fate did not allow it. Just know that I love you to this day with all of my heart, and I know that, in your own way, you loved me, too. Happy Father's Day, Everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power Of Love To Heal..... Grandchildren

Those Who Would Be Left Behind...