My Fight

My Fight

Sunday, March 24, 2013

 

 

Last night, as I always do, I said my good nights to all of my friends on facebook, and in the world in general. And, as I started to do 100 days ago, I gave a nightly tribute to the the 26 slaughtered angels whose massacre while attending elementary school classes made me finally say "Enough! Not another child.. not another innocent should die without some kind of meaningful action and dialogue in this country, and in this government!  We cannot, as a civilized people, continue to wring our hands and say nothing as the continuing meaningless acts  of violence continue to take their tolls from the innocent among us. I cannot, WE cannot let the only voices to be heard after such a tragedy, be those who say, and none to quietly "Hell... now they'll come for our guns!" The likes of LaPierre and his minions always seem to have the loudest voices and the final words. I listened to this liar this morning as he played down the difference between a 22 caliber round of ammunition, and a .223 caliber round for an AR-15. Sure, the sizes are very close.. the difference is in the size of the charge in the bulleti. It does make a difference, Wayne. If it didn't, you wouldn't have so many people wanting to spend all that extra cash for a civilian version of the assault rifle.This man just pushes my buttons. Yet, it's not his lies about the ammo, or the downplaying of the term 'Military Assault Rifle'; I don't care about this at all. These clowns have been lying since they took over a very good organization. What bothers me is their total resistance to any kind of legislation to enforce background checks and registration of all guns. I just don't understand how this effects the right to bear arms, unless, of course, you are a criminal or a murderous psychotic. I have to register my car, and if I have mental illness or a disease that would preclude me from driving in the interest of public safety, then I would not be licensed to drive. Why should it be any different for anyone wanting to own a gun
 "Well-" I hear "- this would only slow up the process for law  abiding citizens who wish to own a gun, for self protection. It would not stop criminals from obtaining them." This statement is not entirely true. It will stop some, just as requiring everyone to license themselves to drive, and register their vehicles prevents many unlawful uses of motor vehicles and keeps many, not all, people who should not be driving off the road. If keeping one lunatic from mowing down people in an accident is the result, then the licensing of all drivers and the registration of all vehicles is well worth it.
  But I digress. Most, I assume, know that I am losing sleep, not only over Sandy Hook, but over every innocent life lost in this country every day. It started with Sandy Hook, but it continues with every dead innocent, every day . My very good friend said to me last night "It's not your battle, John. Your heart is heavy'' and she referred me to the bible. I have to disagree. You see, I believe that it is the fight of every good person who lives in this country to do what they can to help put an end to the daily slaughter. Recently, a young honor student who had attended the State Of The Union Address was shot down and killed in a park near her school. What was she doing? Sitting and talking with friends. Two days ago, a couple of teenaged thugs walked up to a mother with a toddler in a carriage and told her that they would kill her if she did not give them all of her money. She told them that she had no money. The older one said "Then we will kill your baby." She tried to shield the baby with her body, but this monster shot the baby in the head. He died at the scene, and the monsters ran off. They were arrested yesterday and charged with murder. One was 17, he was charged as an adult, the other was 14, and he was charged as  minor. The slaughter of the innocents continues throughout the land, and not much is done about it. The people should raise their voices in outrage for all those lost. I lost a cousin to a shooting. He was shot during the robbery of the video store in which he worked. That was over thirty years ago, and the family still grieves.
 I am not calling for a gun ban. I am calling for reasonable checks and balances to make it harder for a criminal, or someone criminally insane, to obtain a gun. Why is  there so much resistance to this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging.... Gracefully?

Summer

Thoughts On Thanksgiving- Part I